Some steppingstones of my life: graduated from Smith College and lived first three years of my marriage in France. Back in the U.S., with 2 children, I helped establish a Montessori school. A feminist, my first book was Unmasking: Ten Women in Metamorphosis (1973). A passion for Anais Nin led to joint projects, two more books, and the founding of Magic Circle Press. When Elvis Presley died, I resurrected my memorabilia of encounters with him and published the story of his life. (Atheneum). Authored 2 children's books. Working with the National Audubon Society ( Audubon) on global environmental problems, I came to see how humans are inextricably woven into the web of nature and how essential it is to heal this relationship. I compiled a book called NAS' Almanac of the Environment.
My religion is rooted in depth psychology and nature. I have long been a scholar of Carl Jung, James Hillman, Joseph Campbell, and others. For 20 years I’ve been an Intensive Journal consultant. See more about depth psychology at the Archives of Archetypal Research ARAS. My work in journals and depth psychology prompted the United Nations to call me "a most remarkable woman."
I've been awarded residencies at the Virginia Center for Creative Arts, the Edna St. Vincent Millay Colony, Djerassi, and Fundacion Valparaiso (Spain).
I began life in Chicago, lived many years in Weston, CT, now live in Bozeman, MT.
My papers are archived at Smith College Special Collections.
RAVES FROM FORMER READERS AND PARTICIPANTS
- "I am simply swept away with admiration for your approach. What you offer is a new paradigm for how I think emotionally. Thank you for your deeply challenging work."
- "You have given me the answer to questions that have painfully bothered me for a long time."
- "Tears come to my eyes as I write you. Your expertise has been invaluable to me over the years. I have learned so much from you. I am deeply grateful for all you've done to help me."
- "Your message is so healing."
- " Harms’ book was miracle for me!"
- " Valerie is an expert group leader who has the capacity to share great truths."
- " This is the best course I have ever taken. It has opened me up to my soul's needs and purposes. I cannot begin to express my gratitude."
- "In my work as a freelance writer, I would rate Valerie as the most effective editor with whom I've worked. She provides valuable insight, constructive criticism and praise--all of which makes writers better."
- "Valerie Harms is a skilled, experienced, and wise writer, editor. and teacher. I have enjoyed and benefited from attending several of her workshops, which are always interesting and well presented. She was also enormously helpful in the editing and publishing of my book, Gathering the Soul. She is one of the most intelligent, literate people I know!" ~ Connie Myslik-McFadden, MSS, LCSW, psychotherapist and author.
- "By the end of Valerie's workshop, I realized that the experience had been of enormous value. I immediately engaged Valerie in a bit of consulting, which was accomplished in a professional, cost-effective manner."